2.22.2007

Lunchbox: Crockpot Red-Cooked Beef

Interviews this week, 1; people who claim they want interviews, 2; decisions, 0.

I have a love-hate relationship with my crockpot. I love the fact that I can leave it alone and ignore it all day long and the less I look in on it the more rewarded I am in the end. But it is messy, and I really think we could work things through if it had a removable inner pot. This would allow me to wash the crockpot in the sink, properly, like you do with things you cook with, and not have the cord draping all over the place or be concerned the next meal might taste like soap. I don’t know how to explain this to the crockpot, because really, it does a fine job and is in great condition – it’s just that I know there’s so much more convenience possible with another model. I keep thinking I’ll cave and just get a newer one, but I keep trudging back.

The braising purpose was the reason I gave in this week: there really is no edible way to eat a piece of eye of round unless you braise it, and the crockpot is about the best and laziest way to go about it. Red-cooked beef roast isn’t exactly traditional, but it’s a tasty easy choice that makes lots of leftovers. For a few days I ate the meat warm, with some of the thickened juices and a stir-fry of veggies, but today I ate the shredded meat on top of an impromptu salad of raw snow pea tips and baby bok choy, drizzled with some of Trader Joe’s sesame soy ginger dressing, and it was so simple and so good I may never cook bok choy again.

CROCKPOT RED-COOKED BEEF

1 lb eye of round roast
2 tsp five-spice powder
white pepper
sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 Tbsp finely minced ginger
1 can reduced fat, less sodium beef broth
1/2 c lower sodium soy sauce
1/4 c rice wine
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 scallions, cut into two-inch lengths

Pat the beef roast dry and rub on all sides with the five-spice powder and the white pepper to taste. Heat some sesame oil in a pan over medium heat until hot. Sear the beef roast about 2 minutes per side until well browned. Place in a small (3 1/2 qt) crockpot or slow cooker.
Pour over the beef roast into the crockpot the garlic, ginger, broth, soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, chili garlic sauce, and oyster sauce, and stir to dissolve the sugar and sauces. Place the scallions over the top of the beef roast.
Cook on high for 2 hours. As briefly as possible, open the cooker and turn the roast over. Replace lid and continue cooking on low for six to seven hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
Serve, shredded, hot or at room temperature.

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura Rebecca said...

That looks so good! I have to try this out very soon.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home